The 60th Palarong Pambansa officially opened last Sunday, April 23, 2017, at the Binayaran Sports Complex in San Jose de Buenavista, Antique.
Being the “primary avenue for providing in-school sports opportunities to improve the physical, intellectual and social well-being of the youth,” the Palarong Pambansa should be kept tobacco-free.
Tobacco control policies and measures, as stipulated in DepEd Order No. 48, s. 2016, or the Policy and Guidelines, shall be strictly observed:
1. Absolute smoking ban in the premises of schools, including canteens, outdoor spaces, toilets, and vehicles parked on school premises;
2. Access restrictions or the ban on the sale of cigarettes and other tobacco products in and within the 100-meter perimeter of the premises of all public and private elementary and secondary schools;
3. Outdoor advertising ban or the ban on advertising within the 100-meter perimeter of public and private elementary and secondary schools;
4. Sponsorship bans or the ban on tobacco sponsorships of the arts, culture, sports and concerts in all private and public elementary and secondary schools as well as the prohibition on public officials against receiving any form of contribution directly or indirectly from the tobacco industry;
5. Ban on promotional items for minors;
6. Sampling restrictions; and
7. Protection against tobacco industry interference measures, such as reporting interactions with the tobacco industry, disclosing interests in the tobacco industry, and refusing or rejecting any offers or contributions from the tobacco industry.